Tuesday, November 6, 2018

PPF in Europe 2018 - Part Twelve: Happiness is a Vaporetto Ride Away

22 October 2018
12:25 a.m.
Venice AirBnB



I fell in love with Burano, and I was there for only a couple of hours 


I think whether people enjoy a trip or not largely depends on their personality. If everything goes according to plan and you get to see and experience some pretty amazing things, but you're a perpetually dissatisfied nitpicker and ingrate, then you're never going to be happy traveling no matter what you do. 

On the other hand, a generally joyful and optimistic person can always take away the very best from any experience, even if flights are delayed, train rides are missed or the weather is uncooperative. 


Mark taking the very best picture he can of a church bell tower and a modern glass sculpture in Murano



We paid 5 euros (I think) to watch a master glass sculptor work his magic and turn a blob of glass...


...into this. And he repeated the process several times


Murano is Venice with about 80 percent less tourists


I think that's pretty much how I feel about Venice. People who see the city as one gigantic tourist trap now worth the effort and aggravation will leave it surly and spent (in more ways than one). But those who choose to see beyond the thick mass of tourists and confusing maze of alleys, streets and transport system will be rewarded with something far more precious than the overpriced food, drinks and souvenirs--a truly unique dot on the map that will never be replicated anywhere else on earth,

Venetians must be used to the constant invasion from nosy strangers from different corners of the globe, and yet I've found that most of them are still generally cheerful and altogether lovely people. That's another reason why I'll always have a soft spot for Venezia.


Burano exuded a different kind of charm, and one that I really liked. 


Here's a picture of me taking a picture of Mark, who's taking a picture of Love, who's taking a picture of Portia



And a generic picture of the four of us


I don't know exactly what I was trying to accomplish here



I'm trying to lay off caffeine, but Italian coffee is still the best in the world for me and I couldn't hep drinking a cup or three



Mark and I twinning (our hats, at least)


Pizza and pasta dinner at the Almariegos


Grazie mille Venezia. Arrivederci!


Next: Crossing Another Border

No comments:

Post a Comment