Saturday, September 23, 2017

Euro Trip 2017: Day 2 - How I Bled And Loved It

Tearing myself out of bed is a challenge on normal days, but out of warm sheets in cool weather, the struggle is definitely real. It's a miracle I can even wake up really. That first morning in Munich, it really felt like winter was coming, but I had to drag myself out of bed to catch an early morning bus. I planned my itinerary around potential stories, but when some of it fell through, I found myself having two extra days before I had to be in Berlin.


Cigarette butt I found on the ground at the Munich central bus station reminded me of someone


My book on the world's greatest cities came in handy and I decided to buy a ticket to Bled, a little town in Slovenia just off the border with Austria. Five hours is relative; it can go by so fast when you're enjoying yourself at a party or maybe making out with someone, but counting hours on a bus can be excruciating. I amused myself by gazing out at the typically European scenes outside the window--green hills, quaint houses, and the occasional castle on top of a mountain.


Somewhere in northern Austria



Goodbyes are often bittersweet



Next stop: Slovenia


I arrived in Bled about 30 minutes past schedule, which is rare if you know anything about German efficiency and transport. Still, it wasn't like I was in a rush. I think Bled was a reminder to just take it slow. I mean, the castle there is over a thousand years old.


Home in Slovenia. There were two Pinays working there

First look at Bled Castle

I strolled along the pathway running along the lake's edge after checking out the castle. Before I knew it, I was near the other side and it was too late to turn back. So I ended up walking all the way around the lake and found out later the lake is about six kilometers long. Strangely, I didn't feel all that tired afterwards. Maybe all that gorgeousness was a potent distraction from physical ills.



A view of the town from Bled Castle


Bled Island from the castle


Slovenia's slogan is apt


They put on a special skit at the castle

I did feel hungry, so I walked around trying to decide whether I should try the local specialties or indulge in some badly missed Asian cuisine. Meat-and-potatoes won out. I also tried the Bled specialty--their version of cream cake called Kremna Rezina. I loved it. Its soft and spongy cream filling wasn't too sweet and the crunchy layer added some texture. It's exactly my kind of thing.


Bled's Kremna Rezina


You wanna know what else was my kind of thing? Staying in and sleeping, which, instead of going out and finding nightlife, was exactly what I did after eating.


Bled Island

No comments:

Post a Comment