Saturday, September 23, 2017

Euro Trip 2017: Day 3 - Where I Bled Some More

I had almost a full day in Bled before I had to catch a bus back to Munich and then on to Berlin. There were two Pinays in the hotel and one of them suggested taking a boat out to the island. My timing was perfect--I got to the pletna dock just as one was about to leave.


Lake Bled's pletnas


A pletna is a traditional Slovenian boat that literally means "flat-bottomed." I was the last one to get on. The boatman expertly maneuvered two oars and barely stopped to get any rest for the whole 20-minute journey to the country's only natural island.


Pletna boatman with Prague Castle in the background


We had 30 minutes to spend on the island, just enough time to check out the Church of Our Lady of the Lake, the souvenir shop and the views of the mainland. I chatted with a nice English bloke who narrated his tour of Europe through railway. He was traveling solo, just like me, and was likely eager to talk to someone. The chitchat was brief though as we had to make our way back to our respective pletnas for the return trip.


The church in the island


View from Bled Island



That looks like a snazzy place for a weekend getaway



Photo break


I still had a few hours to kill when we stepped on the shore. I spent it by checking out a few souvenir shops for the perfect magnet (my travel souvenir must-have), the grocery store for a few supplies (mostly drinks and chips), and sitting on a bench by the water overlooking the castle. Ducks lazily swam by while racers in an international rowing competition happening that week whizzed past.

It was just the slowdown I needed; an authentic break from the daily grind. Too bad I had to travel halfway across the world to get it. I also couldn't help but think that the pleasure of traveling to a new place like Bled really ought to be shared. The adrenaline rush of experiencing the beauty of a new place would feel infinitely better when simultaneously felt by a travel buddy. Problem is, if you wait for things to reach that point, or the situation to be ideal, you may be waiting for a long time.

I guess you go on these kinds of trips when you can, and then hope to share them with people who matter when the time comes later on.

Bled street


Baking bread

It's in the details

Duck and castle

No comments:

Post a Comment